Monday, November 03, 2008

Nov. National Adoption Awareness Month

"There are no unwanted children, just unfound families." Nat. Adoption Center states that there are 114,000 children waiting for adoption in the United States.


6,000 children with special needs wait in Texas. Darrell was one of those childdren.


I adopted Darrell when he was 3 1/2 years old. He joined my two biological daughters and older adopted son. He is blind and profoundly retarded due to shaken baby syndrome- child abuse.


Why would a single, working mom take on such as task? How did he influence our family? Would I do it again?


My family grew through adoption to 12. Most of these kids fell into the category of special needs; Physical, medical, emotional abuse and neglect. Some were older, some were members of sibling groups, some were minority races. All were children who craved love and a forever family.


My children are now adults with children of their own.


Interested in adoption? Check out some of the links in my web site: Grandmas_bookshelf.com

No comments: