Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Nov. National Adoption Awareness Month

"There are no unwanted children, just unfound homes." Nat. Adoption Center states that there are 114,000 children waiting for a Forever Home in the U.S.

6,000 children with special needs wait in Texas. Darrell was one of these children.
I adopted Darrell when he was 3 1/2 years old. He is blind and profoundly retarded due to shaken baby syndrome- child abuse.
This is his story. And the story of his impact on my growing family. Darrell joined my two daughters and older adopted son in our single parent home
My family grew through adoption to 12 children. Most of these kids fell into the category of special needs: physical, medical, emotional abuse and neglect. Some were older, some were members of sibling groups, some were of a minority race. All were children who craved love and a Forever Family.
My children are now adults, most with children of their own.
Why would a single, working mom take on such a task? What is the purpose for Darrell's life? How did he influence our family? Would I do it again?
Interested in adoption? Check out some of the links in my website: grandmas-bookshelf.com.
For a special copy of "Adopting Darrell" for $5.00 to cover shipping, leave a post with e-mail address.

No comments: